ECTA's mission is to improve the standards of efficiency, safety, and security as well as the environmental and social impacts of the transport and logistics of chemical goods in Europe.
To that effect:
- ECTA develops Best Practices in the transport and logistics of chemical goods in Europe. This objective is reached via:
- Joint studies in co-operation between its members, other associations having related interests, authorities and institutions within Europe at a regional, national, European or international level.
- The ECTA Responsible Care Program for the European chemical land transport sector. In 2008 ECTA has signed a partnership agreement with the European Chemical Industry Council, Cefic, to become the first association to launch a European wide Responsible Care program in the logistics field, bringing the Principles of Responsible Care applied by the Chemical Industry out of the factory gate into the European supply chain and logistics operations.
- ECTA provides the chemical transport industry with an authoritative voice at European level. Within that scope it ensures that the industry's views are effectively communicated to key audiences, authorities and institutions within Europe at regional, national, international and European level. It co-operates and participates in the dialogue between logistics service providers, the Chemical Industry, the authorities and the institutions to pro-actively improve the health, safety, security and environmental performance of transport of chemical goods in Europe.
- ECTA exchanges information with its members and stakeholders on its activities.
- ECTA respects the EU competition rules in all its activities and promotes such respect of competition rules amongst its members.